2.16.2009

Success Is Like Failure, It's How You Perceive It...

It was a successful weekend, I think; I succeeded in surprising my husband with a weekend "away" at a hotel downtown. It was nice not to have to drive too far to get where we wanted to be.

The success of the weekend led to a discussion with my dear husband about success in general. What is success? Public recognition? Making a lot of money at something? Having your name on the side of a building?

I don't feel as if I'm having much success these days, at least not professionally. Then again, what is success? Is it just making money, or is it doing what you want to do? I am doing what I want to do, for sure. But is that enough? And does wanting both kinds of success asking too much?

Anyway, it was a lovely weekend with my Valentine.

3 comments:

Joseph said...

First: I saw on FB that you had planned a surprise, which I thought was wonderful. So glad that Valentine's Day was lovely :P

I started to respond to this question of success, but then discovered I was writing a dissertation or novella or something with the absence of any organized thought. So I think that may be a vocal topic.

But it is complicated, indeed...

for the sake of brevity, I think the answers to the questions in paragraph 3 are:

--it's complicated
--more # 2, but perhaps both
--maybe ?
--No

Which I think is probably the most unhelpful thing anyone has ever written, but it's all I've got now...

would be interested in hearing more of your and William's thoughts on this...

Bobbi said...

Ha! It is complicated, isn't it? Appreciate your thoughts, though... I miss you! Looking forward to this weekend...

Panamamama said...

You are so romantic! Sounds like a lovely St. V's day!
As for your questions on success...
I think it all comes down to what makes you happy? I think that's worth a lot more than most of us give it credit for!