11.21.2008

The Birthing Process

One great joy (for me) in writing is finding a new story idea. When the idea comes from my sister and frequent writing partner, Jeannine, it is the greatest of joys. No one knows me as well or bounces ideas around with me better (with the exception of my husband, but we don't usually write fiction together, so it's okay).

Recently, Jeannine brought a possible new screenplay to me; in the past week, we've roughed out the setting (era & place), the 3 main characters, a sense of the throughline (or at least the point of the story), a couple of prime scenes, and a sense of the ending. We're starting to know our main character just by talking about her: why is she in the story, what's her emotional stake, how does she accomplish her intentions, where does she want to go?

This is the best time -- nothing down on paper yet, but we've planted the seed.

No comments: