11.10.2008

The First Leap

A few years ago, I met my husband-to-be at a party. The first time we met was inauspicious, but the second time, I knew in that inexplicable way in which we recognize an absolute truth that we were meant to be together. Many odds were against us, from complicated relationships to geographical distance to a not-insignificant gap in our ages. And yet we married last year, and neither of us has ever been happier. That was the first leap of faith.

And now, after struggling with my mother's recent death and several years of career dissatisfaction, my husband suggested I stop trying to fit my square self into a round hole, quit my job, and just write. He believes it's what I was meant to do. I want to believe.

So I am taking the risk. Working with my sister, who is also my writing partner and a critical part of my life, I have finished one novel--The Long Black Veil--and will try to get an agent and/or publishing house interested in buying it. Concurrently, I will continue working on the screenplay that LBV inspired and on the new novel, The Pirate's Bride.

Will any of it sell? I don't know. But with my husband, sister, family and friends supporting me, it's time to make the second leap.

No comments: