3.04.2009

Circling

Since deciding to chuck the traditional workforce for writing full-time, I think I've developed ADD or ADHD or whatever the hell one fits. My symptoms include an inability to keep my posterior in the chair for more than a few minutes (unless I'm playing an online game or Spider Solitaire) when I'm actually trying to, oh, you know, WRITE.

I never used to be like this: I used to be able to concentrate for hours on whatever I happened to be working on. And I used to be largely indistractable: for example, I used to do homework in front of the T.V., sometimes with music playing simultaneously, and usually with my parents fighting in the background. And in spite of missing a minimum of 36 days of school each year, I still made good grades -- 37th in a class of 250 in high school, magna cum laude in college in a 3-year accelerated program. Imagine what I might have done if I had actually applied myself!

I don't say any of this to boast; I say it with a deep mourning for what used to be. Nowadays, I have to write a few words,then get up and sweep the floor; write a few more words, then go get a drink; write a little more... you get the picture.

Oddly enough, though, I'm still making progress. At least there's that.

3 comments:

Joseph said...

Interesting...I've had this happen as well...gets worse every year. In college, used to be able to research and write 10 page papers in a night or two. I once wrote a 21-page paper in one night. Interestingly, I suspect I have always been ADD, so I would frequently go do other things...I had an absolute inability to concentrate long-term, but had pretty good aim when the ability manifested itself in short bursts. Now I can't even do that.

I also frequently misspell words or use the wrong form of a word before I notice (I just wrote "noticed" there, for example), which is something I *never*, *ever* used to do before. I get very upset about it.

I actually worry about it. A lot.

Sometimes.

I know none of that helps, but at least you know that you're in good company.

Unknown said...

I have much the same problem. I have taken Ritalin on and off as an adult, but because it increases my general nervousness, I avoided it when possible. But I had to start taking Concerta (time-release Ritalin) when I started law school, just so I could sit still long enough to get through the reading or a full lecture. I still need it to get through a productive day as a lawyer.

Writing is hardest of all -- even Concerta doesn't solve that problem. It's less of a problem when it's "just" work, but the more I care about the particular product, the worse it is. So while I can crank out the briefs for my run-of-the-mill stuff, it gets very hard for the pro bono case that I'm emotionally invested in. I'm betting that you're noticing something similar -- work and school are one thing, but your personal writing is all YOU.

God knows my ADD it's at its worst when I'm trying to write my fiction. I thought I'd have lots of that done after taking several months off before starting my job -- but it turns out that I'm even more distracted when I have plenty of time. Frustrating. I think it was that, when I was super-busy, I'd have to put down my ideas in the time I had available. But when I had all the time in the world, I wanted to make it perfect. (Damn the Perfect -- always getting in the way of the Possible.)

However, I know you -- and I know that you're an extremely organized person by nature. Perhaps it would help to impose a more rigid structure on yourself? Deadlines maybe? I know that deadlines are helpful for me -- if I HAVE to finish, it's easier to control the ADD demon and actually sit still and WRITE.

I know you've probably thought of this -- I was mostly just commiserating. :)

Love, Cyn

Bobbi said...

To both Cyn & Joseph -- I appreciate the commisseration, and I offer a bit of an apology, because I think that for me, it's mostly about discipline. Sadly, my self-discipline has gotten a bit elastic, and so I plan to take Cyn's suggestion and impose more deadlines upon myself. I've gotten lazy, and it shows.

I greatly admire both of you, however, for continuing to progress in your studies and personal writing despite how difficult it is. Props to you!