1.26.2010

There's a Refrigerator Full of Food... Challenge Yourself!

My longtime friend Alex may recall the title of this post from some witless movie we watched one evening in the early nineties. It made us laugh then, and it makes me laugh now, but it got me thinking tonight when I sat down to write.

The Pirate's Bride is coming along, adding another 11 pages this past week -- again, not bad considering I only had 4 nights instead of 5 to work within. It's pretty good stuff, though some of it could use a massage. That will come, as will the key into the next section that is currently eluding me. Thank goodness, so far, I can count on it to work itself out in my head.

The screenplay, on the other hand, has gone nowhere. I can't quite kick myself hard enough to get to work on it, and that's troublesome since we're A) writing from scratch and B) hoping to submit for the 2010 Nicholl Fellowship competition, with a May 1st deadline.

So... do I challenge us (Jeannine and me) to buckle down, write the screenplay, edit it, workshop it in a group and complete the additional edits in only 4 months? Or do we decide not to send an entry this year? We don't want to send a rough piece -- what would be the point? But should we set the goal and do whatever it takes to achieve it, knowing that pressure sometimes produces a great piece?

It would be a serious time commitment. It would take away from Bride for sure, and no doubt from other projects. Yet it's only a few months, and we have the idea mostly fleshed out.

Decisions, decisions.

4 comments:

Joseph said...

A tough decision....deadlines can be good, but you don't want it to feel rushed...

Now that you've had a few days to ponder, are you leaning towards one way or the other ?

Panamamama said...

Sounds like you are really moving along! Curious as to what you decided too!

Jen said...

Is there anyway to do both? Sometimes when I'm working on one project my mind finds the solution to another one..
Love you!!!!

Bobbi said...

Hey, guys, thanks for the encouragement! We still haven't decided if we're going to work on the screenplay. Sort of feel like we should, but also sort of weirded out by getting going on it. My bet is we'll try... no promises beyond that.